Force Protection Kit
Build a force protection kit with inexpensive, off-the-shelf items and Open Source software.
TOTAL PRIZE AWARD: $20,000
CHALLENGE CLOSING: January 15, 2018
Planning to Submit: 0 Submissions: 0
Special Operations Forces and their partner forces need the ability to characterize an environment and detect changes that might indicate the presence or activity of hostile forces. Ideally all the equipment for this capability can be hand-carried (e.g, suitcase/backpack) and deployed by a single person. Specific capabilities desired include:
- Sensors: seismic, acoustic, magnetic, infrared, radiofrequency (RF), and visible light
- Compute: capable of performing baseline characterization and anomaly detection within and across all sensor feeds
- Communication: the ability to communicate the presence of an anomaly using low power RF (LoRA, WSPR, etc)
- Telemetry: tamper detection, battery, relative sensor locations
Entries for this challenge should follow these principles:
- Use hardware components that anyone can buy directly off the Internet
- Use Open Source hardware (where possible) and software, and open (or de facto) data and API standards
Submissions will be evaluated based on effectively meeting challenge objectives.
Key evaluation criteria:
- Use Open Source hardware/software.
- Accurate user documentation provided.
- Working sensors. Additional points will be given for each working sensor in kit.
- Additional points will be given for each unique type of working sensor:seismic, acoustic, magnetic, infrared, radiofrequency (RF), and visible light.
- Size and weight – Points will be given for lightweight form-factor.
- Compute – capable of performing baseline characterization and anomaly detection within and across all sensor feeds.
- Effectively communicate the presence of an anomaly using low power RF (LoRA, WSPR, etc).
- Telemetry: tamper detection, battery, relative sensor locations.
- Additional points for cost/capability comparison.
Please provide a video to accompany the submission which will allow judges in various locations to review. There will be a place to provide a link to the video within the submission form.
In addition, please mail the final unit to the following address.
1925 E 2nd Avenue
Tampa, FL 33605
Please post questions throughout the challenge on the Q&A tab. Your submission will be judged on the final submission.
Prizes will be awarded and announced within 30 days of the challenge closing date. Prize amounts for this challenge are:
- First Place: $10,000
- Second Place: $6,000
- Third Place: $4,000