Light Assault Weapon (LAW) Sight
Design a low-cost quadrant sight that clips onto the latest SOCOM LAW (Light Assault Weapon) that extends the range of the weapon.
TOTAL PRIZE AWARD: $10,000+
CHALLENGE CLOSING: February 15, 2018
Planning to Submit: 0 Submissions: 0
Light Assault Weapon (LAW) Sight will consist of two phases.
Phase 1 – Details outlined below. Delivery format is a CAD model uploaded with challenge submission by deadline.
Phase 2 – The top two finishers of the prize challenge will be provided with $20,000 each (total of $40,000) to develop their concepts into working prototypes for testing.
Phase 1 – Design a low-cost quadrant sight that clips onto the latest SOCOM LAW (light assault weapon) that extends the range of the weapon to match the capacity of the projectile propulsion system. This includes the M72 A7, A9, E11 and E12. The current sights limit the LAW to 250-350 mils while the rocket projectiles are capable of 800+ mils of flight. Main objectives for this design challenge include:
- Accurate sight adjustment measured in mils from 0 to 700 mils
- Sight must be compatible with Day/Night aiming techniques
- Sight must clip onto a MIL-STD-1913 Rail (see CAD model)
- Operator must have the ability to eliminate canting (i.e. level system)
A CAD model is available for design verification and model test fit to ensure proper alignment and prevent system interference.
Please review the following resources:
Phase 1: Conceptual Design
- Goal 1: Conceptual Technical Design Package
- Stretch Goal: Developmental Technical Design Package
Phase 2 – For top two finishers of Phase 1
- Build a prototype
The following criteria will be considered during the evaluation process:
- Size, weight, power, and cost
- Form Fit with sight / launcher
- Ergonomic Interface with operator and the integrated act of shooting
- Accurate quadrant elevation from 0-700 mils
- Interface with aiming devices for day and night
- Ease of control operations in day/night with environmental and chemical protective clothing
- Cant and Parallax Control
- Does not interfere with clothing
- Control cant and parallax
- Minimize Bore sight errors
- Minimize aiming errors
Prizes will be awarded and announced within 30 days of the challenge closing date. Prize amounts for this challenge are:
- First Place: $6,000*
- Second Place: $3,000*
- Third Place: $1,000
*The top two finishers of the prize challenge will be provided with $20,000 each (total of $40,000) to develop their concepts into working prototypes for testing.