SUBMISSION OF AN ENTRY IN THE SOFWERX TEAMWERX PRIZE CHALLENGE CONSTITUTES FULL AND UNCONDITIONAL AGREEMENT TO AND ACCEPTANCE OF THESE RULES.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN.
TO REGISTER GO TO: https://www.teamwerx.org
SOFWERX welcomes applications from Applicants (individuals, teams, and organizations or entities) that have a recognized legal existence and structure under applicable law (State, Federal or Country) and that are in good standing in the jurisdiction under which they are organized with the following restrictions:
a. Individuals must be 18 years of age or older.
b. Organizations must be in good standing with their respective Secretaries of State.
c. Teams must be comprised of otherwise eligible individuals or organizations, and led by an otherwise eligible individual or organization.
U.S. government employees may participate so long as they do not, with respect to this Prize Challenge, use or rely, on facilities, access, personnel, knowledge or other resources that are available to them as a result of their employment except for those resources available to all other participants on an equal basis.
U.S. government employees participating as individuals, or who submit applications on behalf of an otherwise eligible organization, will be responsible for ensuring that their participation in the Competition is permitted by the rules and regulations relevant to their position and that they have obtained any authorization that may be required by virtue of their government position. Failure to do so may result in the disqualification of them individually or of the entity which they represent or in which they are involved.
Registered competitors shall be responsible for the actions of and compliance with the rules by their employees, subcontractors, officers, owners, and other affiliated persons.
2. Ineligible persons or entities
Employees of Doolittle Institute (DI), SOFWERX and immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such employees, are not eligible to participate.
3. No use of government funds
No U.S. government funds may be used towards preparation of a Prize Challenge submission.
4. Distribution of an Award to a Team
If a team of individuals and/or entities is selected as a Finalist, Prize Challenge payments will be made to the person who registered the team and submitted the application. That person is responsible for ensuring the award funds are appropriately distributed to each member of the team.
5. Distribution of an Award to an Organization
If an organization is selected as a Finalist, Prize Challenge payments will be made to the organization, in care of the person who registered, and had the authority to register the organization and submit the application. By submission of an application, an organization warrants that the officers, executives, managers, or other persons who have the authority to approve participation in this competition have approved the organization’s entry, subject to these terms and conditions. Proof of such authorization may be required by SOFWERX, and submission of an unauthorized entry may result in the disqualification of the entry, in the sole discretion of SOFWERX.
6. Treatment and Use of Intellectual Property
For purposes of this Agreement:
a. Background Intellectual Property of an Applicant means: the Intellectual Property that is owned or controlled by the Applicant before accepting the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
b. Foreground Intellectual Property means: any Intellectual Property that independently arises from, is created solely by, or is exclusively obtained by the Applicant to this Agreement during participation in a Prize Challenge.
c. Joint Foreground Intellectual Property means: any Intellectual Property developed by the parties jointly during participation in the Prize Challenge.
d. Each application must reflect the anticipated ownership, use, and licensing of any intellectual property. Applicants represent and warrant that their Entry is an original work created solely by the Applicant, that the Applicant owns all Intellectual Property in and to the Entry, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Entry, except as expressly identified to SOFWERX in writing in the application. The Applicant retains all rights, title and interest in any inventions, software or work of authorship the Applicant invents or creates in the Prize Challenge. Applicant, however, hereby grants to the U.S. Government a non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free, paid-in-full license to use, duplicate, or disclose for governmental purposes any data, technology, and inventions, whether patented or not, made or developed while participating in the Prize Challenge.
7. Other Rules
7.1 All applications must be in English.
7.2 Registration must be completed via teamwerx.org website to participate in the Prize Challenge. Individuals must be 18 years of age or older at the time of entry to participate either individually or by representing an Applicant organization. Applicants cannot reside in nor be governed by countries that are prohibited by law, regulation (including United States or other applicable export laws and regulations), treaty or administrative act from entering into trade relations (including export of technology) with the United States of America or its citizens.
7.3 All entries must meet the application requirements stipulated on this website. Applicants are required to register in advance of any deadlines for the submission of an entry, and Applicants must comply with all other deadlines posted on this website. Entries may not, as viewed in the sole and unfettered discretion of SOFWERX, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. SOFWERX reserves the right to cancel, modify or suspend competition in whole or in part without liability. SOFWERX also reserves the right to disqualify Applicants from participating.
7.4 By participating in the SOFWERX Prize Challenge, Applicants represent, warrant, and agree that:
a. They are the sole author, creator, and owner of the Prize Challenge entry;
b. Their Entry is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim;
c. Their Entry does not and will not violate or infringe upon the intellectual property rights, privacy rights, publicity rights, or other legal rights of any third party;
d. Their Entry does not and will not contain any harmful computer code (sometimes referred to as “malware,” “viruses” or “worms”); and
e. Their Entry, and SOFWERX’s use of the entry, does not and will not violate any applicable laws or regulations, including, without limitation, applicable export control laws and regulations of the United States and other jurisdictions. If the Entry includes any third party works (such as third-party content or open source code), Applicants must provide SOFWERX with all applicable licenses and releases for such third party works. In the event the Applicant cannot provide all such required licenses and releases, SOFWERX, as the Challenge sponsor, reserves the right, in SOFWERX’s sole discretion, to disqualify the Entry.
7.5 An Applicant may participate by registering for individual Prize Challenges, but may not register more than one true and uniform identity; multiple registrations for an Applicant using multiple identities are not allowed. SOFWERX reserves the right to disqualify any entry made by an Applicant violating this limitation, regardless of whether all of the respective parties/team participants had knowledge of such violation. An Applicant may only submit one entry per Prize Challenge.
7.6 The application requirements for entries are clearly described on this website. Each entry will be assessed initially by a team of reviewers, who will be assigned to score the entry either randomly or after considering any potential conflicts of interest, using the scoring rubric and any other judging criteria that are also described within the individual Prize Challenge on this website. In cases where a judge indicates any potential conflict of interest, the entry will be assigned to another judge. Those judges will be responsible for scoring the entry. The Selection Committee judges are permitted to communicate with participants solely for the purposes of carrying out due diligence for evaluating entries and assigning a score during the review process, but those judges are not required to contact any individual directly. The judging criteria will be announced at the beginning of the competition. By participating in the SOFWERX Prize, Applicants acknowledge and agree to be bound by the final decision of the judges.
7.7 Once a rank order of entries has been calculated, the top submissions will be named as Prize Challenge winners. If there are not enough entrants to have a top three, SOFWERX reserves the right to reschedule the competition to a later date. Finalists may be asked to attend a conference call or an in person meeting to answer additional questions in advance of the award date. If a finalist is unable to attend the Q&A session and/or demonstration, then they may forfeit their award, and the next competitor in the rank order of entries may be named a finalist in their place.
7.8 The Selection Committee will be present during the judging and evaluation period to review and discuss the Finalists’ submission(s) and prototypes and will determine the winner(s), using judging criteria that may not incorporate the same scoring rubric employed by the previous assessment.
7.9 Payment of any Prize Challenge Award(s) is the sole responsibility of SOFWERX and its designees, and under these terms, each participant agrees to look solely to SOFWERX, as the Prize Challenge sponsor, for the payment of any Prize Challenge Award.
7.10 By submitting an entry, Applicants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless SOFWERX and their partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors and representatives from any claims of loss or damage arising from participation in the Prize Challenge Competition and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any Award(s). SOFWERX does not assume responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to competition entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. SOFWERX is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to competitors’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this Competition. In the event of a dispute about the identity of any competitor, an online registration will be declared as if made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry.
7.11 THIS COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Competitors agree that this Competition shall be subject to and governed by the laws of the State of Florida and the forum of any dispute shall be exclusively in state or Federal Court in the Middle District of Florida.
7.12 If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, Trojan horses, denial of service, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of SOFWERX that corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this competition, SOFWERX reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Competition. If SOFWERX terminates the Competition, it will not retain any rights in the submitted Entries.
7.13 SOFWERX reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any competitor who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Prize Challenge, to be acting in violation of these rules, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Prize Challenge, or to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person.
7.14 Entry into the Prize Challenge website does not constitute entry into any other SOFWERX competition or promotion that may be offered by SOFWERX and/or its affiliates.
7.15 SOFWERX reserves the right to disqualify any participant who violates these Rules, the Terms and any standards of behavior expressed or implied in them.
7.16 The names of the winners may be posted on this website for such period as SOFWERX deems reasonable.
8. Online Forms – Any additional information submitted with the forms is at the discretion of the Applicant. Please note that data submitted via online forms on the SOFWERX website is stored in a database on a 3rd party web server.
9. Non-personal Information – Certain aggregate and non-personal information is collected whenever an individual visits this site. This type of information does not correlate to a single, identifiable visitor to the site. It provides general data such as the number of visits and the pages that were accessed. This information enables us to provide better content and is collected through either cookie technology or with web beacons.
10. Cookies are the bits of text that are recorded on a computer’s hard drive when certain websites are visited. Cookies relay information such as whether or not the individual has visited the site before, what features hold the greatest interest, and preferences. Cookies also enhance the functioning of the website. For example, flash cookies store data beyond simple text, but cannot access or remember information such as email addresses or other personal information, unless you submit it to our email address. In sum, cookies provide a website that is easier to navigate.
11. Web Beacons also known as internet tags, pixel tags, or clear GIFs, enable third parties to obtain information. This information may include: the computers IP address, the URL of the page on which the beacon appears, the time the page was viewed, type of browser used, and the information stored in the cookies. Log files are used to store the data collected by the beacons.
12. Shared Information – Any personal information obtained by SOFWERX is not sold or disclosed, except as described herein. The following are circumstances where information disclosure may be mandatory: (1) if required by law or a legal proceeding; (2) if requested by law enforcement authorities or government officials; or (3) if disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or financial harm or in connection with actual or suspected illegal activity. The right to transfer any information in the event of a change of ownership of SOFWERX is reserved. In the event of this occurrence, direction will be given to the transferee to use the personal information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement.
13. Links to other sites – Links to other external sites are provided for information and convenience. These sites may contain their own privacy statements and policies. It is recommended that these statements are viewed independent of SOFWERX website and Privacy Statement.
14. Minors – This website is not intended to be accessed by those under the age of 18. There is no attempt to knowingly collect personal information from individuals under the age of 18 on the site. If it is brought to SOFWERX attention that information has been received by a website visitor under the age of 18, SOFWERX will delete the information from its records.
15. Privacy Statement Updates may be made periodically without prior notice. Any significant changes will be included in a notice that is posted on the website.
16. Proprietary Information – SOFWERX is not allowed to accept, store, and communicate proprietary information, to include information of any restricted or classification level. SOFWERX will not be responsible for securing any proprietary or controlled information inadvertently sent to us via this website or to any of our email addresses.
17. Other – Trafficking In Person:
a. Provisions applicable to an award recipient.
1. Award recipients, employees, subrecipients, and subrecipients' employees may not--
i. Engage in severe forms of trafficking in persons during the competition;
ii. Procure a commercial sex act during the competition; or
iii. Use forced labor in the competition
2. SOFWERX may unilaterally void the award, without penalty, if an award recipient:
i. Is determined to have violated a prohibition in paragraph 17.a.1.;
ii. Has an employee who is determined by SOFWERX to have violated a prohibition in paragraph 17.a.1. through conduct that is either --
A. Associated with performance in this competition; or
B. Imputed to the award recipient or the subrecipient using the standards and due process for imputing the conduct of an individual to an organization that are provided in 2 CFR part 180, ``OMB Guidelines to Agencies on Government-wide Debarment and Suspension (Nonprocurement).''
b. Provisions applicable to any recipient.
1. Award recipient must inform SOFWERX immediately of any information received from any source alleging a violation of a prohibition in paragraph 17.a.1.
2. SOFWERX right to terminate unilaterally that is described in paragraph 17.a.2.:
i. Implements section 106(g) of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000 (TVPA), as amended (22 U.S.C. 7104(g)); and
ii. Is in addition to all other remedies for noncompliance that are available to SOFWERX.
3. Award recipient must include the requirements of paragraph 17.a.1. in any sub-award.
c. Definitions. For purposes of this Agreement:
1. ``Employee'' means either:
i. An individual employed by award recipient or a subrecipient who is engaged in the performance of the competition; or
ii. Another person engaged in the performance of the competition under this award and not compensated by award recipient including, but not limited to, a volunteer or individual whose services are contributed by a third party as an in-kind contribution toward cost sharing or matching requirements.
2. ``Forced labor'' means labor obtained by any of the following methods: the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, using force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery.
3. ``Severe forms of trafficking in persons,'' ``commercial sex act,'' and ``coercion'' have the meanings given at section 103 of the TVPA, as amended (22 U.S.C. 7102).19.
18. Contact SOFWERX should you have any questions or comments regarding these terms and conditions, by calling 813.693.5599.