Rugged Refuel Hose Storage
Design a light-weight and rugged hose storage and delivery system for Air Force Special Operations refuel teams that is compatible with current refueling hose lengths and sizes.
TOTAL PRIZE AWARD: $15,000
CHALLENGE CLOSING: March 31, 2018
Planning to Submit: 1 Submissions: 0
The prize challenge goal is to design a light-weight and rugged hose storage and delivery system for the Air Force Special Operations refueling teams, that is compatible with current refueling hose lengths and sizes. The refueling teams must be able to quickly dispense the fuel lines from their stored configuration for refueling operations, which will be permanently attached to the refueling cart on one end, while the other will go out to an aircraft to be refueled.
- Current hose reels and storage baskets are heavy, bulky, and unreliable. The electric hose reel is often ineffective and leads to longer refueling operations.
- Some sections of the hose are coupled to provide enough length to reach an aircraft. These couplers cannot be removed to accommodate a retraction system.
- DC power from an electric vehicle is available, but a manual override or manual assist for retracting fuel lines is required.
- The retraction for a single hose line must be done in under 2 minutes.
- The storage system(s) must fit on the current vehicle (dimensions provided in the diagram).
- Refuel hoses are 2″ and 3″ diameter (please see fuel line system diagram and specifications sheets below)
- Provide a solution to allow Operators to easily extend/retract the hose with little effort to mitigate unnecessary fatigue and stress.
Please review the following resources:
Items to consider:
- Speed, ease and reliability of the hose extraction/retraction system
- Ease of use for manual override when DC power fails
- Weight of system (lower is better)
- Size (smaller is better)
- Goal 1: Conceptual Technical Design Package
- Goal 2: Developmental Technical Design Package
- Stretch Goal: Build a prototype
Please post questions throughout the challenge on the Q&A tab. Your submission will be judged on the final submission.
Prizes will be awarded and announced within 30 days of the challenge closing date (Mar 31). Prize amounts for this challenge are:
- First Place: $7,000
- Second Place: $5,000
- Third Place: $3,000